1 hour, 30 minutes
Beef and Chicken Jollof Rice from West Africa. The Sierra Leone Recipe
1. Wash and cut the meat into portions. Mix together and season with black pepper, salt, vinegar and pounded garlic. Leave to stand for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
2. Prepare vegetables by slicing into portions.
3. Peel, wash and thinly slice the onions.
4. Wash and skin the tomatoes.
5. Fry poultry in pan of hot oil until golden brown all over then remove and put aside.
6. Fry the beef and leave in cooking pot.
7. Fry the onions until brown, insert scalded and skinned tomatoes, cook & stir occasionally until it is a pulpy consistency.
8. Add tomato puree and pounded peppers, cook gently for quarter of an hour.
9. Add half cup of water mixed with ®Maggie Cubes, bring to a rapid boil and place the prepared vegetables, bay leaves, fried chicken, and salt to the pot of meat.
10. Cook for approximately 20 minutes.
11. Take out the vegetables and chicken when cooked and place in oven on a low heat. Leave the beef in pot and cook for a further 20 minutes until tender.
12. Place the washed rice to the pot, add sliced peppers and bring rapidly to boil.
13. Reduce the heat and cook for 25 minutes on a low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is well cooked.
14. Serve the Jollof Rice on a large platter, place vegetables and meats on the side.