The Taste of Black Houston will be your personal excursion to the best Black restaurants in the city of Houston. We will take a luxury bus across the city of Houston to various Black owned restaurants.
Please read the following Frequently Asked Questions down below, this is your responsibility.
Please read the Taste of Black Houston Waiver down below, this is your responsibility.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the Taste of Black Houston?
The Taste of Black Houston is a restaurant tour. To be more precise, this is a food sampling tour.
We will ride on a luxury charter bus to each of our destinations.
We will sample the food at each location.
What type of food will we be sampling?
We sample a diverse spectrum of cuisine.
Here are some of the countries from where the cuisine may come from:
It's always a magnificent surprise wherever we go.
2. Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash? How much are the tickets? When will the tickets be available? What is the difference between ELITE TICKETS & VIP TICKETS?
Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or MasterCard. Cash is not accepted on the day of the tour. If you want to pay cash call 832.707.5057 and we can make arrangements to meet and I will provide you with an electronic receipt. Tickets will not be sold on the day of the event.
$100 ELITE TICKETS (does not include alcohol or swag bags) are $100 and will be sold until June 24, 2017 at midnight
$150 VIP TICKETS (includes top shelf alcohol and swag bags) are $150 and will be sold until June 24, 2017 at midnight
$200 ELITE TICKETS (does not include alcohol or swag bags) are $200 and will be sold from June 24, 2017, 12:30am until July 15, 2017 at midnight
$250 VIP TICKETS (includes top shelf alcohol and swag bags) are $250 and will be sold until June 24, 2017, 12:30am until July 15, 2017 at midnight
3. What time should I get to the meeting location?
You should get there at least 30 minutes ahead of time. We will begin boarding the bus at approximately 10 to 15 minutes before departure. We will be leaving on time.
4. What is the refund policy?
Refunds are not provided under any circumstance unless it is the fault is on the behalf of our company.
We will leave the meeting location on time. There will be no refunds provided due to the late arrival of a participant. Unused portions of tickets can not be refunded. (i.e. If you choose to eat at 2 restaurants instead of 3 restaurants.)
5. If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional tour for the same day. Please contact us by calling 832.707.5057 to let us know what date you are interested in. We may provide additional tours once a tour is close to being sold out. The maximum number of people per tour group is 45.
6. What type of food will be offered on the tour?
Some of the things we may get to sample on this food tour include:
Authentic African cuisine (i.e. Nigerian, Sudanese, Ethiopian, Liberian, Cameroonian, Ghanaian, Ivory Coastal, etc.)
Authentic Caribbean cuisine (i.e. Haitian, Jamaican, Belizean, Guyanese, Trinidadian, etc.)
Incredible African American (i.e. Cajun Seafood, Barbeque, Authentic Chicago or New York Style Pizza with hand tossed dough, etc.)
Genuine Afro-Latino (i.e. Puerto Rican, Cuban, Columbian, Venezuelan, etc.)
Handmade desserts (Cupcakes, Ice Cream, Pastries local to the countries of the restaurants we visit)
7. How much food is served on the tour? Who chooses what is to be served at the restaurants?
There are 3 restaurant stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterward will not be necessary. This is not a buffet.
Visit Black Houston has selected either a chicken dish or seafood dish, or sometimes a vegetarian dish. (A vegetarian dish is not guaranteed please contact 832.707.5057 at least 72 hours before the tour so that accommodations may be attempted. Refunds will not be made under any circumstance so please keep this in mind in case there are no vegetarian options that suit you are available)
8. What Is Not Included?
Gratuity for the bus driver, the waiter or waitress, and the tour guide is not included, but appreciated!
9. Are there any beverages served on the tour?
Water will be served at each stop. Each restaurant has a local drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) that is unique and indigenous to that Country, Region, or Culture that you may purchase for very moderate prices.
10. Do we just walk around and sample food?
Primarily! Sometimes, aside from sampling delicious food, we may also stop buy other local retail locations if time permits.
11. Are bathrooms available during the tour?
Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour on the luxury charter bus and at all restaurants. We will stop at each restaurant for 30 – 40 minutes, which includes time to use the bathrooms.
12. How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
We are on our feet for less than half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 30-40 minutes. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
13. Are tours offered only in English?
Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us at 832.707.5057.
14. What happens if it rains?
The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be going inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors except for when we leave the bus to walk into the restaurant. You should still dress appropriately for the day’s weather conditions.
15. May I bring my dog on the tour?
Unfortunately, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
16. Does this tour have anything to offer Houston area residents?
Emphatically Yes! Many of our attendees live in the Houston area. Locals often take the tours to learn about the unique neighborhoods that surround the nation’s capital. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
17. Can I shop on the tour?
Sometimes, meaning that some of the restaurants will be only a few steps from a retail outlet so we encourage you to shop as long as it’s understood that will be under time constraints at every stop.
18. Where does the tour finish?
The pickup and drop off location is the same, the Metro Park & Ride, unless noted otherwise via text, email, or phone.
19. Are cameras allowed on the tour?
Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour. We also encourage participants to use the #HoustonFoodTour hashtags
20. Is there wheelchair access on the tour?
Our tour will cover some uneven terrain. If you or another guest with you needs wheelchair access, please contact the seller in advance. We will work to accommodate you.
21. Can I book a private tour?
Yes, private tours are available. To learn more about booking a Private Group Tour, please call 832.707.5057 to inquire.
22. Where will be meeting for pickup and drop off? Is parking free?
We will be meeting at the Metro Park & Ride,unless noted otherwise via text, email, or phone. Parking is free and there is security on the premises.
(Exact meeting location details will be provided immediately upon purchase of tickets.)
23. Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
No. Tickets are not transferrable from one person to another person.
24. Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No, you can present the hardcopy receipt or the email confirmation on your smartphone.
25. The name on the registration/ticket doesn’t match the attendee. Is that okay?
No. The name on the ticket must match the name on the identification card of the attendee.
Please have your ID and your ticket out and ready to present to the tour guide when boarding the bus.
26. Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
27. What ages are accepted on the tour?
Everyone must be 21 years and older.
28. Can I buy food off the menu and bring it on the bus?
Yes, many times people like to buy something off the menu because the food sample was so delicious.
29. Are there sponsorship opportunities for companies who want to increase their exposure?
Yes, please contact 832.707.5057 so we can understand your needs better.
30. Should I print out my ticket?
Yes, you should either print out your ticket or have it ready to be shown on your mobile phone.
31. Where does the bus leave from?
The luxury charter bus usually leaves from the Metro Park & Ride at 6220 Southwest Freeway, Houston, Tx 77074 however sometimes we do not. Please contact 832.707.5057 to double check the point of departure. We will be leaving on time, regardless to whom or what.
You will be notified of where your bus will be leaving from once you purchase the ticket.
32. Can I use my ticket for another time?
No. Tickets are not transferable under any circumstance.
Please be sure of the time when you purchase your ticket.
There will not be any exchanges or transfers.
33. Can I bring my professional video equipment onto the bus? (This only applies
to professionals. This does not apply to people using smartphones to film)
Yes, as long as you contact us at least 48 hours
before the tour is scheduled to take off. Our company will provide
you with a SD card or other memory card appropriate or your camera for you to use while filming. We will collect this memory card from you at the conclusion at the bus tour. Then we will make all of the raw footage available to you through
DropBox.com or WeTransfer.com This process was implemented in order for
our company to meet certain deadlines with our advertisers who are
expecting to have the video to place on their website or social media in order to
drive business to their places of establishment.
Taste of Black Houston Waiver
Waiver and Release, Consent to Medical Attention, and Grant of Rights
By purchasing tickets for and participating in the food tasting and cultural walking tour (“Tour”) offered by Visit Black Houston (the “Company”), I, and if I am not yet 18 years old, my parent or legal guardian, agree to be bound by each of the following provisions of this waiver, release of liability, indemnification, consent to medical attention and grant of rights (“Waiver”) :
1. Voluntary Participation. I understand and confirm that my participation in the Tour is voluntary. I am in good health and suffer from no physical or mental condition that would make me especially susceptible to injury or disability while participating in the Tour.
2. Comprehension of Risk. I fully comprehend and accept all of the risks associated with my participation in the Tour including, without limitation, injury or death resulting from exposure to unfavorable weather conditions, food sickness, allergic reactions, choking, and injuries arising from self-inflicted accidents or mishaps, other participants, motor vehicles, and pedestrians. I understand that the Tour takes place in public venues under conditions largely beyond the Company’s control.
3. Assumption of Risk. I assume all risks, known and unknown, foreseeable and unforeseeable, in any way connected with my participation in the Tour. I accept personal responsibility for any liability, injury, loss, or damage in any way connected with my participation in the Tour.
4. Release of Liability; Limitation of Damages.
I hereby forever and unconditionally release the Company and its affiliated entities, parent companies, subsidiaries, present and former employees, owners, officers, members, managers, partners, contractors, insurers, shareholders, and directors (collectively “Released Entities”), from any and all claims, actions, damages, liabilities, losses, costs, and expenses (including, without limitation, attorney’s fees) for death, injury, loss or damage of property, (collectively “Claims”) in any way arising out of my participation in the Tour, including, without limitation, any and all Claims resulting from the negligence of the Released Entities. The Company’s liability to me will be limited to actual damages arising from Released Entities’ gross negligence or willful misconduct in the performance of their duties and responsibilities hereunder; provided, however, under no circumstance shall my damages in connection with my participation in the Tour be greater than $500. Recovery of such amount shall be my sole and exclusive remedy. All liability arising out of my participation in the Tour is cumulative and not per incident. In no event shall the Company be liable for any special, incidental, punitive, or consequential damages or other indirect damages, even if the Company has been informed of the possibility thereof.
5. Indemnification. I agree to defend and indemnify the Released Entities from any and all Claims as incurred of any kind whatsoever in any way arising out of my participation in the Tour.
6. Binding Effect. This Waiver shall be binding upon my next of kin, personal representatives, heirs, beneficiaries, and assigns and shall inure to the benefit of the Company, its successors and assigns.
7. Consent to Medical Treatment. I authorize Company to provide to me, through medical personnel of its choice, customary medical assistance, transportation, and emergency medical services. This consent does not impose a duty upon the Company to provide such assistance, transportation, or services.
8. Severability. If any provision of this Waiver is for any reason declared to be invalid or unenforceable, the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions will not be affected. The invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed modified to the extent necessary to render it valid and enforceable, and if no modification may render it valid and enforceable, this Waiver will be construed as if not containing such provision and the rights and obligations of the parties will be construed and enforced accordingly.
9. Promotional Release. I hereby grant to Company the unrestricted right and permission to copyright and use photographic portraits, pictures, video footage and/or audio recordings of my participation in the Tour, in which I may be included intact or in part, including the negatives, prints, transparencies or digital information relevant to such portraits (the “Material”). The Company has the right to reproduce, exhibit, distribute, broadcast, digitize, edit, or otherwise use the Material, by any method and in any media, whether now existing or later created, without restriction throughout the world, by incorporating the Material into its website, publications, catalogues, brochures, books, magazines, or commercial, informational, educational, advertising, or promotional materials relating thereto (collectively, the “Works’). I agree that the Company is and shall be the exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest, including copyright, in the Material and the Works. I further grant to the Company an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use my name, age, and hometown in connection with the Material and the Works.
THIS IS A WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY. BY PURCHASING A TICKET FOR AND PARTICIPATING IN THE TOUR, I REPRESENT THAT I HAVE READ THIS ENTIRE DOCUMENT. I UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY AGREEING TO ITS PROVISIONS. BY CONTINUING TO PARTICIPATE IN THE TOUR, IAM INDICATING MY VOLUNTARY AGREEMENT TO THE PROVISIONS OF THIS WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY. PARTICIPATION IN THE TOUR BY A PERSON WHO IS NOT YET 18 YEARS OLD INDICATES THAT A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN HAS ALSO READ AND CONSENTED TO THIS WAIVER.
Your Venue Location on Google Map
Travel to Africa
Travel to the wonderful African Continent with West Africa Money Hotels for travel. Top destinations are Lagos Nigeria, Accra Ghana, Marrakech Morocco, Tunis Tunisia, Banjul Gambia The Gambia, Dakar Senegal, Abidjan Cote d'ivoire, Nairobi National Park Kenya, Lusaka Zambia, Cape Town South Africa and Giza Cairo Egypt.