Thursday, October 12, 2017
Foodbetter invites you to ask questions about the food system and how to improve it: how to grow better, eat better, shop better, conserve better . . . how to Foodbetter.
3:30-4:30pm: Lightning Round: Great Ideas to Foodbetter
Get energized with this Lightening Round of 5-7 minute Foodbetter Ideas shared by a cross-section of the community:
- Spyridon Ampanavos, Doctoral Degree Candidate, Harvard Graduate School of Design
- Juliana Cohen, ScD, Adjunct Associate Professor of Nutrition, Department of Nutrition, Harvard T. H, Chan School of Public Health
- Nicole Ledoux, Harvard Business School Alumna, Co-Owner of 88 Acres
- Carla Martin, PhD, Founder and Executive Director of the Fine Cacao and Chocolate Institute (FCCI) and a Lecturer in the Department of African and African American Studies, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University
- Aviva Musicus, Doctoral Degree Candidate, Department of Nutrition, Harvard T. H, Chan School of Public Health
- Nicole Negowetti, Clinical Instructor, Food Law and Policy Clinic (FLPC), Harvard Law School
- Joseph Winters, Bachelors’ Degree Candidate, Harvard College
4:30-5:45pm: Keynote Panel: Foodies Who Foodbetter
Some of Boston's best chefs and restauranteurs are using their platform to change the food system as we know it. They are activists and entrepreneurs who aren't just content with winning rave reviews. (They also all happen to be women!) Join this discussion about how these industry leaders are reinventing the food system and their communities from their Boston-area restaurants.
Wearing her alumna hat, Joanne Chang, Chef Owner of Flour Bakery and Meyers & Chang, will moderate the conversation with:
- Katrina Jazayeri, Co-Owner, Juliet– talking about social justice and its application and opportunity in the restaurant industry
- Jody Adams, Chef Owner, Saloniki, Porto & Trade – talking about moving into the fast-casual space to make it healthier, as well as about advocacy on health issues
- Irene Li, Chef Owner, Mei Mei Street Kitchen – talking about Mei Mei’s open-book and profit sharing approach
- Tiffani Faison, Chef Owner, Sweet Cheeks & Tiger Mama – talking about using her platform for community advocacy, especially around LGBT issues
6:00-7:00pm: Foodbetter Dinner
Following the Foodbetter Harvard program, join us for a dinner showcasing how we at Harvard Foodbetter, alongside tasty recipes from our panel.
- Undergraduates: enjoy a sustainable and local dinner in your dining hall, complemented by a Brilliant Bites feature recipe from one of our 4 panelists.
- Non-undergraduates: enjoy a buffet dinner at the Cambridge Queen's Head (just downstairs from Sanders Theater), featuring recipes from the panelists plus selections from HUDS' sustainable and local menu and a drink of your choice from the bar. Tickets are $18 and must be purchased in advance here (EventBrite page).
To reserve tickets WITHOUT dinner at the CQH, visit the Harvard Box Office.
For tickets to INCLUDE dinner at the CQH, purchase here!
Your Venue Location on Google Map
Travel to Africa
Travel to the wonderful African Continent with West Africa Money Hotels for travel. Top destinations are Lagos Nigeria, Accra Ghana, Marrakech Morocco, Tunis Tunisia, Banjul Gambia The Gambia, Dakar Senegal, Abidjan Cote d'ivoire, Nairobi National Park Kenya, Lusaka Zambia, Cape Town South Africa and Giza Cairo Egypt.