|Source: Favourite Sierra Leone Recipes by Pamela Greene|
|Prep time: 2 1⁄6 hours||Cooking time: 10 minutes||Total time: 2 1⁄3 hours|
Akara (Binch Akara). Important Nutrition Information:- Rich in protein, B vitamins, iron.
How to make Akara (Binch Akara)?
Deep Fat Frying
1. Wash and soak the beans for about 2 minutes and pound in mortar to remove the skins. Wash and soak for about 2 hours.
2. Grind the beans into a smooth paste. Use a blender.
3. Chop onions and pepper finely, blend into the bean mixture and beat for about 5 minutes.
4. Add salt to taste. Beat thoroughly for 5 minutes.
5. Add beaten egg to improve food value and to make the mixture light if desired.
6. Heat cooking oil - groundnut oil or palmoil moderately hot and deep-fry tablespoonsful of the mixture until golden brown.
7. Drain on absorbent paper.
8. Serve hot or cold as a snack; with bread; with fried plantains or potatoes; as part of a buffet. Smaller bells can be served with toothpicks at parties or social events.