Beef groundnut paste, limes tomato paste and cayenne pepper.
How to make Roast Beef on Strings?
1. Cut beef into 1/2 inch cubes.
2. Squeeze lime over meat, add all the other seasonings.
3. Mix thoroughly with fingers to evenly distribute the seasonings.
4. Add salt to taste and allow to stand for at least 2 hours.
5. Cut up onion into six vertical sections and remove the segments.
6. Pour oil over meat mixture and mix thoroughly.
7. String pieces of meat on skewers including a few onion segments in between. Save the marinade for basting.
8. Broil on hot coal fire turning frequently for even cooking.
9. Baste with marinade from time to time to prevent drying.
10. When meat is cooked to desired doneness wrap in aluminum foil to keep warm for serving.
11. The finished product should be moist, tender and juicy, spicy hot and is best served warm.
Garlic and or curry powder may be added at stage 2 if desired.
Favourite Sierra Leone Recipes by Pamela Greene