|Source||Favourite Sierra Leone Recipes by Pamela Greene|
1 hour, 30 minutes
2 hours, 10 minutes
Ishakpa Sauce is made from fresh Ishakpa, palm oil, egusi, beef and dried fish.
How to make Ishakpa Sauce?
1. Break Ishakpa into small pieces, wash thoroughly and steam until almost tender. Rub in water gently to remove some of the sourness, depending on taste.
2. Cut up meat into cubes put in a saucepan with water and cook until tender.
3. Add pepper, onions, palm oil, ogiri and simmer gently until palm oil no longer has the "raw" flavour.
4. Strain and add the Ishakpa, cook gently stirring occasionally and adding some water if the sauce gets too dry.
5. Mix the egusi with some water and add to the sauce. Cover the sauce pan and cook slowly until the egusi is soft and digestible and most of the water has evaporated.
6. Add the flaked fish and cook until the desired consistency is obtained for serving.
7. Serve with rice, boiled cassava or foofoo.