|Source||Favourite Sierra Leone Recipes by Pamela Greene|
1 hour, 40 minutes
2 hours, 10 minutes
Sawasawa, egusi, meat and fish.
How to make Sawasawa, Wate Sawa?
1. Cut up meat into cubes and put in saucepan with cups of water.
2. Cook slowly until tender, adding water as it evaporates.
3. Add palm oil, ground pepper, onion, ogiri and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
4. Wash and shred leaves, put in a saucepan of water and bring to boil. Strain and rub leaves in cold water in a sieve to remove some of the sourness.
5. Squeeze out water and add leaves to the palm oil sauce.
6. Mix the egusi with some water and add to the sauce. Cover saucepan and cook gently. The sauce thickens as it cooks so stir frequently to prevent sticking and add more water if it becomes too thick.
7. Add flaked fish and salt to taste.
8. Cook until desired consistency is achieved.
9. Serve hot with rice or foofoo.