Here is our reviews of a west African, Nigerian dinner in south east London. Esquire Lounge and Bar is owned by the 805 Nigerian Restaurant, and has the same menu as 805 Restaurant. At 9:30pm they have a live DJ playing Afro-Beats and R&B, making the place a bit more lively.
805 Nigerian Restaurant has decent ratings (useful to view the food that you will be eating it's the Nigerian food from 805 Restaurant):
The London Taste of Africa Group visited Nigerian Dinner at Esquire Lounge and Bar (next to 805 Restaurant restaurant on Saturday 15th June, 6:30 pm. This group aims are to bring people together through celebrating food from across Africa and African culture. You can sign up to this group by searching the website www.meetup.com. Past events have included an African cooking class, a trip to Paris to visit Senegalese restaurants and London African restaurant dinning. Saturday showed people love eating Nigerian food in London, no need to go to west Africa this time for your okra garri and plantain. If you are hungry for African food, drinks and afrobeats music you will be happy to mix socially at Esquire Lounge. See other pictures on Facebook and like West Africa Cooks on Facebook.
An African Accra, Nigerian Menu
- TRADITIONAL DISHES
- JOLLOF, FRIED, OR WHITE RICE:
- SEMOLINA, POUNDED YAM, GARRI, AMALA, GROUND RICE:
- EGUSI , EWEDU, OGBONO , BANGA or OKRA & STEW:
- SEMOLINA, POUNDED YAM, GARRI, AMALA, GROUND RICE, STARCH:
- EDIKANIKONG (mixed vegetables) and assorted meat:
- EDIKANIKONG (mixed vegetables) and Fresh Fish:
- EFORIRO and Fresh Fish or Stock Fish:
- EFORIRO and assorted meat, Beef, Chicken or Fried Fish:
- OKRA Soup and Fresh Fish or Stock Fish:
- OKRA Soup, assorted meat, Chicken, Beef or Fried Fish:
- OHA Soup and Fresh Fish or Stock Fish:
- OHA Soup, assorted meat, Chicken, Beef or Fried Fish:
- BOILED YAM AND TOMATO OMELETTE:
- DODO (fried plantain) WITH OMELETTE:
- EWA AGANYIN (BEANS) WITH DODO (fried plantain):
- ASARO (YAM POTTAGE) AND DODO (fried plantain):
- ASARO (YAM POTTAGE) AND DODO:
Served with fried plantain and chicken or beef.
Served with fried plantain and assorted meat.
Served with fried plantain and fried fish.
Served with plantain and fresh fish, or stock fish
Ayamase served with white rice.
Select from any of the following soups:
Served with Chicken or Beef
Served with Assorted Meat 0r Fried Fish
Served with Fresh Fish or Stock Fish
Select from any of the following soups:
Chicken, Beef or Fried Fish.
or Stock Fish.
with a hint of chili.
served with Assorted Meat, Beef, Chicken or Fried Fish..
served with Fresh Fish or Stock Fish
- ASSORTED MEAT PEPPER SOUP served with boiled yam
- ASSORTED MEAT PEPPER SOUP
Served with okra and pounded yam
Served with Ogbono and a choice of vegetable soup
MONIKA- Whole grilled fish in Chilli sauce
Choice of Croacker or Tilapia served(hot or mild)
with chips, potato wedges, jollof rice, fried rice or white rice
SANTANA - Gizzard marinated in a hot and spicy sauce
Served with jollof rice, fried rice, white rice or plantain
BEER MATE - Diced beef marinated in a hot and spicy sauce
Served with plantain
FISH PEPPER SOUP
Served with white rice or boiled yam
EFORIRO(Chopped vegetable leaf coated in a spicy tomato sauce)
Served with assorted meats, fried fish, beef or chicken
Choice of white rice, jollof rice, or fried rice
BOILED YAM AND EFORIRO
- Served with assorted meat, fried fish, chicken or beef
- EXTRA PORTIONS
- Dun-dun (Fried yam)
- Ground rice, Garrivita, Semolina, Pounded yam, Amala, Starch
- Tiger Prawns 2
- Ogbono, Banga, Okra & Stew, Egusi, Ewedu
- Okra Soup, Edikanikong, Oha, Ofe Nsala or Eforiro (Soups)
- Moyin-moyin (beanspudding)
- Fresh Fish
- Stock Fish
- Fried Fish
- Assorted Meat
- Beef or Chicken
- Jollof, White Rice or Fried Rice
- Plain Boiled Yam
- Monika Sauce
- Plain Stew
- Plain Ayamse
- Chips or Wedges
Reviews And Comments From The Night
I really enjoyed the evening, lots of interesting conversation. Plus delicious Nigerian food :)
Was a pleasure meeting you guys, hope you all got home safely.
Great event, thanks for organising! Nice to have spent the evening with a lovely friendly group of people. Hope to see you all again soon
Enjoyed the Okra, fish and Garri.
WEST AFRICA CUISINE GLOSSARY
What Is Jollof Rice?
Ever wondered about the origins of Jollof Rice because most West African's cook it. Every state in West Africa claims that they invented Jollof Rice but more importantly every nation thinks that they make the best dish. Jollof Rice is an absolute must for any family or social occasion. Jollof Rice is made of long grain white rice, tomato stew, peppers, onions and seasoning.
Location: How To Get There
817 Old Kent Road
Esquire Lounge and Bar
Nearest Overground Station: New Cross, New Cross Gate
Underground: Elephant & Castle
National Rail: Queens Road Peckham, South Bermondsey, New Cross Gate
Parking Details: Free Car Parking at Toys R Us Store, Old Kent Road
All cars must be registered at 805 (ask inside the restaurant for details)